Friday, August 28, 2009

Cookies = Superfood

Although Greg isn't a huge fan of sweets (a fact that still blows my mind, even as we enter our fifth year of knowing each other), he has an undeniable weakness for oatmeal raisin cookies. I always knew this about him, but I didn't realize the full extent of his passion for the stuff until my wonderful college roommate delivered us her version of Quaker's classic recipe. I think his excitement may have been comparable to our wedding day. Maybe I'm exaggerating...but maybe I'm not. Needless to say, that recipe safely made it into my baking repertoire.

When it comes to feeding my "Greg on the Go" then (as I described in an earlier post, of Greg's almost frightening cactus-like tendencies), I was thinking of his great love of the noble oatmeal raisin cookie both to change up his work day snacking and to entice him to take a few minutes to eat some actual food. This cookie works well as sweet brain food...or, at least I tell myself that, to alleviate the guilt from constantly trying to feed my husband cookies...

After some monkeying around and incorporating some favorite techniques, I came up with the recipe below, which has increased fiber and protein as well as being veganized. The other nice thing about this recipe is you can pretty easily change out the flavor profiles. Other dried fruits would work well as well as some nuts; or, you can use another favorite trick of my college roommate and toss in some white chocolate as well. I'm also a fan of this recipe because I used banana to take out the eggs, so, if you're in a position like Mrs. Smith in the comments from my last post, and you have a bunch of bananas and just can't stand banana bread anymore, these cookies really benefit from the slight sweetness of fruit.

Pumped Up Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Yields: 4 dozen cookies

Ingredients:
1 c. non-dairy butter substitute (like Earth's Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks)
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar (I use vegan)
2-3 bananas, mashed
1-1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. soy flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 -1 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
3 c. oats
1 1/2 c. raisins

1) Cream together butter substitute and sugars. Add bananas and vanilla; mix well.
2) Gradually add flours, soda, and cinnamon; mix until just combined.
3) Stir in oats and raisins.
4) Drop by rounded tablespoons or using a cookie scoop onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden brown.
5) Cool slightly on cooling racks for 1-2 minutes, then remove from cookie sheets and cool completely.

Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment